Sunday, August 1, 2010

Totally Eat-able

I ran across the most interesting recipe on one of the forums I frequent and it was just so out of the ordinary that I had to try it.  Zucchini Candy, which can be found here with additional little tid-bits.  I know what you are thinking, something along the lines of 'what the heck' but trust me, it's awesome!
Zucchini Candy
10 cups peeled diced zucchini 1/2 inch cubes

3 cups water
2 pkgs. unsweetened Koolaid
2 1/2 cups sugar
Peel zucchini, dice, removing seeds. Mix the liquid syrup together. Add zucchini. Bring to a boil and them simmer for 25 min. Drain. Put on dehydrator trays. Dry 14 hours at 125 degrees. Turn pieces over and dry another 4 hours. This will feel dry and not sticky when done. Store in jars or other tightly sealed containers.If you dip in sugar when you turn them, they will be more like "gum drops" on the outside.


Knowing my dehydrator and it's tenancy to eat diced foods I just peeled, scraped out the seeds and sliced into crescents about 1/4" thick (I wasn't thinking by that point, I was just hacking away, next time they will be a bit thicker).  Based on what I had seen mentioned about the amount of syrup I decided to just add zucchini until I couldn't fit anymore in the amount of syrup, possibly around 15 cups but since I didn't measure, I can't be for sure.
I used the black cherry flavor Koolaid, since it's one of my more favorite flavors and filled my dehydrator almost to capacity.  Then promptly forgot about it until this morning, say 18 hours?  I let it cool and started retrieving the gummy worms, ahem, zucchini.  Mine were still a bit tacky so I tossed in some granulated sugar and ended up with this:


 5 cups of totally insane 'candy'.  And it's delicious!!  I so wish I had my own zucchini this year!!
Imagine candy that's somewhat good for you, has fiber, can count as a veggie serving, looks fun and tastes great.  I'm already planning flavors for the next batch.  I may have to get out my spare dehydrator.

No comments:

Post a Comment