Friday, August 20, 2010

Cantaloupe Jam

I received another 3 cantaloupes the other day and of course I can't let them go to waste!!  So what to do other than pickling them?  What about jam or preserves?  Works for me!  I used this recipe in post 3696 but I needed to tweek it a bit because, well, I'm not going near another orange for a while and I may be giving some of this to diabetic and sugar sensitive friends.  I also wanted it a bit smoother for my own texture preferences.  So here's what I did:

Cantaloupe Jam
5 1/2 cups cantaloupe mush, I pureed the cantaloupe instead of a fine chop, there are still a few pieces in it though, this is roughly one cantaloupe
1/4 tsp orange extract
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp powdered ginger (get the good stuff here, not the stuff that's been sitting in your pantry for a year already, try getting china no 1 from the Spice House, I swear by it)
3 cups Sugar
1 Pkg No sugar needed pectin

Combine cantaloupe mush, orange extract, ginger and lemon and bring to boil.  Add pectin, bring to a boil for 1 minute. Then add sugar and bring back to a boil for 3 minutes.  Ladle into hot, sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in boiling water bath 10 minutes.
Makes 7 half pints

Thank you so very much for this recipe Vfem!  I landed 8 pints and 6 half pints from 3 cantaloupes!

No comments:

Post a Comment