Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Ok... so I cheated this time

I picked up a packet put out by Mrs. Wages.  The Kosher Dill one.  I decided to try it.  With the last of the cucumbers and a few I begged for, and a few zucchini  and onions I tossed in because I didn't think I'd have enough, I made the last of my cucumber pickles this year.  This does not mean I won't consider pickling something else, keep that in mind!

After listening and reading reviews from people and several sites I decided to up the flavor quotient just a tad by adding a clove of roasted garlic and 1/2 tsp dill weed to every pint (1/4 tsp to the half pint).  I also added some Pickle Crisp to each jar.  For those of you thinking they stopped making it, you were right, they apparently started making it again this year!  I was lucky enough to lay my hands on a jar.

So anyway, the pickles.  I decided to do them in spears since most were too gangly for pint jars and ended up with a bunch that were just right for half pint jars.  Knowing someone will inevitably want a jar, these will be available for gifts/trade/etc.  What I ended up with is 8 pints, 5 half pints of the cucumber pickles and 3 pints, 2 half pints of the zucchini pickles.  All had a sliver or two of onion in them as well.
The cucumber pickles:
And the zucchini pickles:
I am now ready to put the canner to bed for a few weeks but..... I have green tomatoes coming tomorrow.. they are getting pickled!

No comments:

Post a Comment