Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Roasted GarlicJam

Sounds good doesn't it?  Makes you want to go out and buy a loaf of crusty bread for smearing or roast a nice big pork sirloin so you can spoon it on doesn't it?

Yeah, that's what I thought.  And let me tell ya.... it's good!  I just had a little bit of the stuff that didn't make it into a jar and it's fabulous.  Sweet but not too sweet with a vinegary kick to it.

Roasted Garlic Jam

5 heads garlic
Cider vinegar, 1 1/2cups plus approx 1 more, see recipe instructions
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup lemon juice, bottled
1 1/2 cups unsweetened apple juice
1 pkg no sugar needed pectin
3 cups sugar

Day one:
Separate garlic cloves, do not peel, and roast in cast iron skillet on medium heat.  Alternatively this can be done in the oven, as long as they get some color and the skins become loose, do whatever you prefer.  You don't want these to be mushy, just lightly roasted.  Once all are roasted, remove from heat and allow to cool.  Peel skins off if they haven't already come off and slice off the hard 'root' end of each clove. 
Pulse in food processor until nicely minced, add 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar and pulse a few more times.  Pour mixture into a container and refrigerate overnight.

Day Two:
Add enough cider vinegar to garlic mix to make a total of 4 cups, add balsamic, lemon juice, and apple juice and bring to a boil for 5 minutes.  Add pectin and boil 1 minute.  Add sugar, mix really well and boil 3 minutes.  Ladle into jars with 1/2 inch head space and process in water bath for 15 minutes (sea level).
Makes about 8 half pints.

I have 6 half pints and 1 pint

1 comment:

  1. Today I made the caramelized onion jam you posted a little while ago. It smells delicious and the bit that I tasted while making it was very good. I don't have enough of my own garlic to make the garlic jam but our local ag school has a farm store where they sell great garlic. I think this will be next on my list!

    ReplyDelete