- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons super fine sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 serrano chile, slit down center
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 large red onion, peeled, halved, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
Put the onion slices in a small bowl. Pour the warm vinegar mixture over and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 48 hours, stirring the mixture a few times.
- 1 cup lime juice
- white vinegar to cover onions by about an inch
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons pickling salt
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano leaves
- 3 pounds red onion, peeled, halved, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices (we used the last of ours straight out of the garden after they had been cleaned up and dried a few days)
Next day, bring to a boil, ladle into jars and process for 15 minutes. Any liquid left that did not fill a jar would be great for pickled eggs! This gave us 3 pints and 3/4 pint of extra soaking liquid.