Friday, July 16, 2010

A time to shrivel

Well I tried my hand at one of my grandmothers pickle recipes and learned a lot.  I've always heard people talk about lime pickles and decided to give her recipe a try.
This is the recipe:
    * 7 1/2 pounds Cucumber
    * 2 cups pickling lime
    * 2 gallons cold water
    * 2 quarts white vinegar
    * 4 1/2 pounds sugar
    * 1 tablespoon pickling Salt
    * 1 tablespoon pickling spice

Dissolve lime in water. Pour over cucumbers and let sit 24 hours.
Drain, rinse let soak in fresh water for an hour and repeat 2 more times for a total of 3 hours.
Mix together vinegar, sugar, salt and spice, bring to boil and let cool.
Pour over cucumbers and let sit overnight
Boil in vinegar mix 35 minutes and then pack into hot sterilized jars


This is what I ended up with:
A bit shriveled no?  Well, I did them whole, didn't slit them or take off the little bit at the blossom end, that was a crucial step not known at the time.  I'll know better next time though!
These are our very own cucumbers from our very own garden.  Many things are coming in now so it's time for stocking the pantry!!  Stay tuned for more kitchen stuffs!

No comments:

Post a Comment